Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Laundrymat adventure


The last time I was at a laundrymat that I can remember, I was a little girl and I looked suspiciously at the other poor folk using the facilities. I imagined that they were all derelicts (how in the world do you spell that word?) and I was in immediate danger. It was a real adventure. We were in Greenfield, California and it was REALLY hot out. Or is Greenfield in Arizona? Anyway. When we had finished using the machines, we got our things out of the dryer and put them in one of those nifty rolling carts with a basket on the bottom and a place to hang things up on the top. We were disgusted to see our things full of dead (but now clean) flies who had gone through the cycle in addition to our clothes. It sure made an impression on me! Soooooo, today, because of a delay in the washing machine repair man's schedule, I took about 8 loads of steaming, stinking laundry to the laundrymat. The machines were state of the art, the caretaker exceedingly odd but no flies in our stuff. AND I got all of the loads done in two machines within one hour. Hm. I might just get a regular subscription to the place.

4 comments:

CabinFever said...

That looks upscale and CLEAN. They are an awesome way to get tons of laundry done in 2 hours, and you are certain to meet an interesting character (or six). I loaded the car up after camping one time with heaps of filthy clothing and bedding that I wanted to clean in jiffy. I prefer the once a year visit as the laudromat scene has deteriorated in these parts . . .

Amy said...

That's a fancy one!

Lisa said...

They are handy for doing lots of loads fast, but I'd prefer to do it one-load-at-a-time while I get other things done. Hope your repair is done soon!

Looks like you survived just fine, that's a nice-looking place with fancy machines! The ones I've been to, I'm scared what candy/etc the kids will pick up off the floor, or who might run off with them. I love your description of your childhood experience. =)

shirleyjean said...

The twins always said, You meet the nicest people at the laundramat! hmmm Like in Greenfield California